As a business, it can be hard to know where the trends are going. It seems that anything could push a certain industry in one direction and then moments later it could get blown somewhere else. Indeed, e-commerce is a peripatetic industry. Fads, trends and styles come and go. The real question becomes: how do you create staying power while at the same time maintaing relevancy and customer engagement? The answer to this question is not so simple, because there are actually many answers. Moreover, one answer may work for one business and not another. It all depends on what industry you are in and who your demographic is. Here are five tips for creating long-term online customer engagement.
- Make sure that you create a brand identity that people can relate to. The more identifiable your brand is, the more customers will want to connect with your business. Many businesses exist behind a shroud and there is no definable identity with which to relate to. However, by creating a timeless identity, customers will time and time again be able to recognize your brand, which can be critical when there are so many other businesses to compete with.
- Make sure that you know exactly who and what your demographic is. Many new businesses may know who their demographic should be, but oftentimes, demographics change. A business that should belong to one demographic, could – all of a sudden – grow a whole other other demographic. So, it is important to not fight it, but to go with the flow and see where it takes your business. Next to setting up business directory software and creating your SEO initiatives, creating a strong profile of your demographic is vital. Without this profile, it will be hard to know what direction to take your business.
- Make sure that your representatives know that customer engagement is vital. By creating a culture of customer engagement, you can create stronger relationships with customers. The stronger the relationships is, the more likely customers will be loyal to your brand or business. If you have an online business with customer service reps, make sure that customer awareness and satisfaction are a part of the golden rule. When it comes to training new employees, customer engagement should be something that is drilled into the training process.
- Make sure that you have live response and chat services on your website. There are a number of plugins that you can download for your site that can allow browsing customers to live chat with customer service reps. Basically, some customers may not be so inclined to pick the phone and call if they have questions. Sometimes they just want to write in and get an immediate response. With a live chat service you can not only increase customer engagement, but also sales.
- Make sure that your social media campaign is a hub of activity. If you don’t respond and engage with customers on your social media platform, you will never connect with customers. Social media is the perfect controlled environment to market your brand and engage with customers, so it is important to never take it for granted.